Mathematics at Scorton
On this page you will find more information about our mathematics curriculum as well as a number of useful documents to help you understand mathematics in our school.
Since the implementation of the 2014 national curriculum there has been a clear focus on promoting children’s skills in not only fluency but, ever more importantly, in reasoning and problem solving contexts. We aim to ensure that all of our children have access to varied fluency activities, reasoning and problem solving of different types in every lesson to ensure they have the best opportunity to gain mastery of the subject.
Using the Programmes of Study from the National Curriculum alongside that of the White Rose Maths Hub, it is our aim to develop:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics;
- children with a strong number sense and the ability to choose appropriately between mental and formal written calculations;
- a maths curriculum which is filled with cross-curricular links and opportunities;
- a lively, exciting and stimulating environment in which the children can learn Maths;
- lessons which routinely challenge and extend children by exposing them to varied fluency, mathematical reasoning and problem solving activities;
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others to develop and encourage their mathematical curiosity;
- the concept that acquiring Maths knowledge and skills provides the foundation for understanding the world around the children;
- an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment;
- an ability to communicate both mathematically and about mathematics.
In this section you will find links to useful documents to help you understand the content of the work that the children will be completing in each year group.
The following documents are the overviews and programmes of study for each year group from year 1 to year 6. These come directly from the National Curriculum document 2014.
This link will open the Key Stage 1 overview.
This link will open the Lower Key Stage 2 overview.
This link will open the Upper Key Stage 2 overview.
This link will open the Year 1 Programme of Study.
This link will open the Year 3 Programme of Study.
This link will open the Year 5 Programme of Study.